Sunday, August 25, 2013

This Grand Adventure Called Life

Warning: This is the longest blog post of my life (or at least it took me the longest to write, seeing as I started writing it in May)....prepare yourself now because this could be rough.  


I started this blog post a  few months ago but things happened so fast I couldn’t seem to keep up with my life.  Hopefully, I can sum it all up now before the next life adventures begin.  


For the most part, my life was/is pretty boring. Not a whole lot going on, ever. 

This past year and a half is an exception. I graduated from nursing school, moved to Minnesota to start work as an RN,  had open heart surgery, moved back to Utah, and started work as an RN Primary Children’s Medical Center on the Neuroscience Trauma Unit.  Makes me tired just typing it all.  


Let’s rewind a bit to when I started typing this up…My amazing little sister (mentioned in a previous post) is serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  She is in the Manchester, New Hampshire Mission.  Here is a link to her blog if you ever want to check it out.    




In order to spend some time with her before she left I got some time off work and headed to Utah.  I was only able to stay for a week, but we had a wonderful time. We toured Sweets Candy Factory,  ran a 5K, went to Super Pump classes, went to Mission Prep classes together, built an awesome fort, went shopping, ate yummy food, got family pictures taken, took a few naps, cut Elaine’s hair, tried out the XBOX Kinect, ate our last meal at Wendy’s and had to say goodbye for the next 18 months.  It was a long and emotional, but wonderful week.  

First major-ish run since surgery.....5K in the pouring rain. AMAZING


Pretty much the coolest blanket fort EVER

Elaine asked for a haircut......




The week turned out to be even more adventurous than expected when I got a call from the float pool manager at Primary Children’s Medical Center.  I’ve been applying there for so long and never expected anything to happen until I had a full year of nursing experience, so the call came as quite a surprise.  I got an interview with them and with a few phone calls was able to get an interview for the Neuroscience Trauma Unit (NTU) at Primary Children’s as well.  


I had these interviews the day before I left.  I felt pretty good about how the interviews went, and although the NTU  was/is my dream job, I didn’t expect to get an offer and didn’t plan on taking it unless they would be willing to wait until I finished my year here at Mayo.  


All of those thoughts went completely out the window when I got a phone call the next day and was extended a job offer to work on the NTU! Pretty sure I almost peeped my pants Don’t worry mom, I wasn’t on the fourth wheeler ;-) 



Although I wasn’t planning on taking the job (because I knew they wouldn’t wait until I finished my year) I couldn’t say no.  This truly is my dream job.  I been working in neuro for a few years and have always dreamed of working at Primary Children’s.  I am so grateful that although it took a few unexpected twists and turns to get there, God has led me not only to where I need to be, but where I want to be. 



That news changed everything. I didn’t dread leaving my family and heading back to MN because I knew in a month I would be back home.  I was so happy and amazed at how things worked out so perfectly.  Not only in this instance, but they have workout out perfectly throughout my whole life.  I know that I am being watched over and directed where I need to go. 

Hanging out at Wendy's eating our last meal together for the next 18 months!

The HARDEST goodbye!




Shortly after getting back to MN I celebrated my 6 month surgiversary (now coming up on 9 months in Sept.)! I cannot believe it has already been that long.  Wilbur (or at least a small part of him) is holding up well.  I truly feel better than I have in a long time. I actually feel wake when I get up; I have so much more energy to exercise (not that I've been doing much of that lately); and while I always love a good nap, I am taking a whole lot less of them.   To celebrate the special day Ashley and I grilled up some steaks and cooked some chicken Rice-a-Roni (I decided to abstain from pork products, given the occasion).  They were mighty delicious! Sadly we both had to work, so it was a pretty low key celebration. 



I tried my best  to live it up with my favorite roommate ever, Miss Ashley Ann Langford, before I headed home. I knew the day would come when we would no longer be roommates, but never did I expect it to some so quickly.  We grilled steaks quite frequently to celebrate our last few weeks together. We also had few birthday parties (both for me).  I miss her so very much! I will always cherish the time we spent together and am hoping for many more adventures with my 'sista wife fo life'.

 
Birthday Party at 1 AM. Best surprise ever after a LONG night at work

Some amazing photos from a CRAZY lightening storm

Perfect timing

First of many rest stops on our journey to the West

Ashely and her BIG buddy! 64 oz doesn't even phase her

Cones  and crowns from BK



While figuring out moving my stuff, wrapping things up at my current job, and getting things ready for my new job, it came time for my Sister Dixon to report to the MTC.  I knew the day would come, but never wanted to say that goodbye. I was able to FaceTime with her as they dropped her off and she started her wonderful mission experience. 



I am so proud of her for this decision and for the type of person she is to be able to do this.  She is my best friend and I love her more than she will ever know. She is definitely the most loving, sweet, and pure person you will ever meet. She has been doing great and gives me so much strength with her emails and the testimony she shares. If you want to follow her mission adventures here is (another) link to her blog. She writes some great letters that are sure to inspire.



Can't help but smile when I see my beautiful sister



I have now been working at Primary Children's for 2 months and I love it so so much! I have SOOOO much to learn, but I can honestly say I love going to work.  It seems like things have finally started to slow down a bit, which I am kind of enjoying.  I am sure it won't last too long.

In all that has happened this last year, I have truly come to know that God is watching over each of us. There is no way I could deny that after the experiences I have had.  Every moment of every day he making things happen in our behalf.  He cares about us and blesses our lives in so many ways (often unrecognized). I didn’t always have the best attitude about going to MN, but I am forever grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows exactly what I need in my life and finds a way to offer it to me. I am far from deserving, but very grateful for the direction and guidance I’ve been given. I don’t think I will ever be able to truly express how grateful I am for all that happened this last year and all those who helped me through it. 


I look forward to this next year of my life and am excited to see what is in store for me.  I don’t know what could compare to the adventures I had this last year, but I guess we will have to wait and find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment